Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots! Shots!

Yes that is a Lil' Jon reference. Moving on...


I got some of my shots for Africa today! Which by the way, are super expensive!! And yes, it does hurt. A lot. I feel like that slab of meat Sylvester Stallone practiced on in the first Rocky movie. I had 5 different shots today...yellow fever, typhoid fever, hepatitis A, H1N1 (which I'm still afraid is going to kill me rather than help me), and a polio booster. Although I don't think I'd be that mad if I got polio...I'd feel like FDR. 


So I have a question for everyone...and by everyone I mean the 6 people that are probably reading this...4 of which I'm most likely related to  :) The nurse at Passport Health, where I went for my shots, was trying to make me get the rabies vaccine. Is that really necessary? Or is it a good idea? The nurse told me that even if I get the vaccine I should still go directly to a hospital if I get bit or scratched....so whether or not I get it I have to go to a hospital if I get bit. Also...it costs $250 per shot...and I'd have to get 3...that equals $750!  (Thank you CCU math department) So is that worth it? Do they really help that much? 


While I'm at it...does anyone have any other type of overseas travel tips? Any specific kinds of medicine I should bring with me or things I wouldn't think to bring? I want to be overly prepared...like a boy scout on crack.


If I do get rabies though, I know Michael Scott can tell me how to handle it.....
"Maybe there's some sort of animal that we can make a sacrifice to. Like a giant buffalo. Or some sort of monster... something with the body of a walrus with the head of a sea lion, or something with the body of an egret. With the head of a meerkat. Or just the head of a monkey with the antlers of a reindeer. With a body of.... a porcupine."

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd talk to whoever runs the place about the rabies shot. Do they reimburse you for the rabies shot? If so, then YES. Why, you ask? Because if you get rabies, they give you lots of shots in your STOMACH. Would you rather have a few shots in your arms or lots of shots in your STOMACH (thank you House for that knowledge)?? I would think about this very carefully.

    As for other meds, I'd check into something like Cipro, a hardcore antibiotic which can be used to treat a lot of stuff, an antiviral of some sort, lots of Pepto and anything else they are willing to give you that you think you can get through customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote NO on the rabies. At least as long as you are staying indoors mostly, planning to avoid animals, and have some access to health care if you should get scratched or bitten by one. MD Travel Health suggests taking your own antibiotics and antidiarrheal (are you sure you want to go on this trip?)

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely take Immodium. Don't drink the water! Avoid animals. Stay inside locked doors. Just kidding....no opinion on the rabies vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't avoid the animals. Love them. Squeeze them. Kiss them. It's not everyday you see cheetahs, giraffes, lions, and other amazing animals in their natural habitat. You gotta take advantage of opportunities like this! This is my advice.

    Put the rabies shots on my tab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES KELSEY! WELCOME TO THE BLOG WORLD I MISS yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha thanks for the help guys!!! I will add all of those drugs to my list of drugs I need in Kenya :)

    I opted not to get the rabies shot... although Kendra, you made a VERY convincing argument with that whole shots in your stomach business. In the end it was just too expensive and not really worth it.

    And Jen..I will absolutely not kiss any animals!! I want to avoid stomach shots at all costs!!

    Thanks for the help guys! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete