Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm all out of....ideas

So. I need some opinions/suggestions here. Before I leave for Kenya I'm supposed to pick out a few different gifts to bring along. I need gifts for my host missionary family and for any Kenyan nationals that I work with and "befriend," if you will. Any ideas?

They said we could bring things the missionaries can't get in Kenya, like food items, or newer books and whatnot. For the nationals we're supposed to bring multiple little things that we can give to lots of different people, like keychains or something.

But I need some specific ideas. So, if you have any, do share! I could use all the help I can get.

4 comments:

  1. Many schools in Africa lack basic school supplies, and kids find them difficult to get, or that's what I've heard. You might find that pencils and pens are good as a 'multiple little thing' gift. Or notebooks, but I suppose that would take too much room in your luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oriental Trading is a great place to get small things in bulk. They have a whole section on school supplies with pencils, crayons, etc. They also have lots of bulk packages of toys, stickers, key chains and tons of other things. For your host family, I'd check and see if there is anything that is scarce in Kenya. Is it hard for them to get good coffee or tea (it's an important crop but I'm not sure they have much access to it)? And it will keep in the heat. I would definitely take books--ask Heather which ones! When people from our church go, they take medical supplies like cotton balls, band-aids, etc. And ziploc bags, apparently those are hard to come by. Can you ask people who have gone before what is most needed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to Ethiopia and the Dominican we brought "Cincinnati" things, such as skyline, Reds/Bengals baseball hats! Coloring books for kids is such a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help guys! You are all wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete