Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week 1

So…it has been a VERY exciting and busy week! I feel like I’ve done so much and been gone so long, but it’s really only been 7 days, which is weird. I want to try to give you a quick rundown of what we did this week…I’ll try to remember everything and I'll try to keep it as short as possible!

They let us work in each different department at MOHI, so each day we worked with different people doing different things. It was nice to be able to see all that MOHI does…it really is amazing! They have so many different kinds of outreach to the community. On Monday I worked with BDS (Business Development Services), which is where I’ll be working for the rest of the summer. That department is the one that handles all of the microenterprising and everything. It was really cool because we got to go visit a few women in some different slums who want to become involved in MOHI’s microenterprising program. They had businesses but they needed help to expand them and make them more successful so we met with them in their homes and talked to them about what they do and what they’re looking to accomplish, so that was really interesting. Tuesday I worked with CHE (Community Health Evangelism) where we went through a slum and just met people and talked to them about Jesus, which in theory is very scary haha But it was actually a lot of fun! We met some really amazing people. Wednesday I did Social Work, we went to another slum and met with the parents of some of the kids that go to school at a MOHI center. Again, we met some really amazing people! They’re really all SO nice and welcoming, it’s really great to see. Thursday I worked with Christian Education and I got to spend the day in the school in a few different classrooms. That was SO much fun, just getting to see some of these kids and talking to them and hearing about their lives. We spent a few hours in the preschool which, needless to say, was absolutely adorable. Friday I worked in the Spiritual Development office. We got to do some home visits in the slums again, just meeting with people who have been coming to the church but haven’t accepted Christ yet. Again, it was really great! Haha

I’ve had a really amazing time this week getting to see how extensive MOHI is and all the different programs they have. They have programs for HIV/AIDS outreach, disabled children, they have a skills center where they teach women trades like cooking or sewing so they can support themselves and their families. It really is so amazing to see what God is doing here and how awesome and faithful these people are even in their physically horrific circumstances. I wish I could describe the slums to you but it really isn’t possible. It’s one of those things that you just have to experience, even pictures can’t do it justice. It’s just mile after mile of homes that can’t really even be classified as shacks. Most of them have dirt floors and are one room, just separated by sheets into sections. Most of their houses are as big as my bedroom at home. And they’re so dark inside. I went into one home that was literally pitch black, the woman had to hold my hand and guide me into a chair because I couldn’t see a thing.

The streets of the slums are full of sewage and garbage and animals. There’s goats and chickens running around everywhere. One thing I can’t even begin to describe is the smell. It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced, and it’s only by the grace of God that I haven’t thrown up in some of these people’s homes yet! These truly are the worst conditions I could imagine a person living in. And the slums aren’t just in one area, they’re ALL around Nairobi. Millions of people live in them. What kills me the most is all the kids. There’s so many little kids running around that are sick and dirty and hungry. It’s hard to see and it’s really overwhelming, but it just makes me that much more excited to be working with MOHI and seeing what an amazing effect they have in these communities. It’s also really encouraging to see how joyful and faithful some of these people are despite their physical conditions. They live as terribly as anyone could, but they continue to have such an amazing faith in Christ and a joy that I can’t comprehend. It really is amazing to see. I think that’s the only word I can really use to describe it! It definitely gives me some serious perspective on my own life and on the things I let get me down or put me in a bad mood.

One word that kept coming to my mind during the last week is hope. That is what many of these people have and is what the rest of them need so badly. I keep coming back to the beginning of Romans 5…it says “And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” This has really helped me this week, especially when I get so overwhelmed by the poverty and desperation of these places and these people and I feel so helpless because I know I’m not going to be able to improve their lives physically. But then I remember that no matter what we’re suffering through, whether it’s physical or emotional, the ultimate gift you can give anyone is HOPE, not necessarily for a better life physically, but for a better life through Christ. And the Christians that I meet in the slums have definitely shown me that hope in Christ is all you need for a joyful, fulfilling life!!

So basically…I’m having an amazing time so far!! Thank you all so much for your love and your prayers! Please keep them coming, I’m definitely going to need them as I get deeper into this! Love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. We are so proud of you honey! It does sound like you're having an amazing time and I can't wait to see all the pictures and hear all the stories when you get home. Just remember absolutely everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelsey, how amazing AND difficult this is for you! How are you communicating with people? Do you use an interpreter? What language do they speak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually not that bad, most people here speak English. English and Swahili are the two national languages so they teach the kids English from the time they start school. So all of the people we work with speak English and so do the kids, the people in the slums don't as often because most of them never really went to school, but we always go with someone from MOHI when we go through the slums so they interpret for us!

    ReplyDelete